Skip to main content

Ok I am going to bring this blog back

This is my decision. Here is why:

I have this need to share things, stuff I've read, watched or listened to, stuff I've been up to, my opinions about things, useful resources and so on. The internet should be great for this, but I just haven't felt like I could do any of it.

For one thing, I'm sort of over it with social media. For the past few years I haven't really felt comfortable being my full real self on it. The reasons for this vary by platform: on instagram I feel like I have to be professional bc art, on fb there are too many people that I don't want to interact with or share my life with, I feel like I have a lot of weird emotional baggage with tumblr, and twitter can be summed up by this pic:

from here

To boil it down, social media is not a good place for actual human interaction unless you are willing to take a lot of time culling your group of friends/followers/etc and it's just not worth it to me to spend the time making social media into that. Further, in their current incarnations, these various social medias can be useful, just not as the place where I show my actual personality or opinions.

Further, I want a more flexible format that a blog offers. I have a finsta that I hoped would fill this niche in my life but it kind of turned into "look at this weird thing I saw while walking around Los Angeles" (though actually.... I kind of love that and don't want to change it). Instagram is a terrible place to share anything other than photos anyway since you just have the one link in your bio. I like that blogs are meant to be a little bit more long form, but that they don't necessarily have to be. I can share a bunch of links to things I like in one post and do a long diatribe about how I hate social media and am starting a blog in the next one.

Finally, my google keep is getting a bit unruly and I thought maybe I can keep track of some stuff (like favorite recipes) on here, in a place where other people can enjoy it as well should anyone feels like checking this out or following along.

I figured I'd bring this blog back instead of starting a new one because I love the title still and feel like it's an apt description of what I'd like this place to be, a condensed version of my thoughts and also a condensation of interesting things I've found on the internet.

I also want to keep the old posts from 10 years ago because it's fun to look back on cringey high school Shannon and her shannonigans (lol). Also don't want to forget mizzle and rizzle as part of the history of this blog so I'm putting a link to it right here

Comments